A few things I discovered during my first few months of college.
- I judge people too quickly. I assume people are more obnoxious, more self-centered, more shallow than they actually are. I need to be more open-minded when I see someone for the first time.
- The world is full of sensitive boys, and I didn’t even know. Unlike the empiric/aloof males of my high school, there are so many open and artistic boys here. It’s heartwarming, but also distracting as fuck.
- Biking is the most joyous form of exercise.
- I’m actually not a bad-looking person. I assumed so in high school because there was no evident male interest in me, but some encounters with strangers have nicely contradicted me.
- Chance the Rapper brings people together.
- There’s that saying that college is the best four years of your life. It’s heartwarming, but also slightly threatening. It creates a sense of pressure and unease whenever you’re idle, not connecting with people, not partying. There’s no threshold of fun to meet, no debt of shenanigans to pay off if you had an uneventful high school life. You only have to worry about what you’re comfortable doing.
- Kissing is my favorite hobby and the single best human invention. Except perhaps for music.
- Despite my gut feeling, there is actually no reason for people to dislike me immediately. I need to chill out.
- Male friends are actually such an essential asset to life.
- “Stacy’s Mom” is the best song to party to.
- Here’s a dirty little secret. People don’t actually lose complete control when they’re drinking, no matter how much they boast “I’m sooo drunk right now.” You can still think and inhibit yourself, albeit with extra effort. Alcohol is just an excuse to do stuff you already wanted to do. Its intrigue and social appraisal contributes to the intoxication you think you feel.
- Alcohol is so fucking dumb. When you think about, you’re literally poisoning yourself. Getting wasted is not fun. However, there’s a glorious sweet spot after the warm buzz and right before the dizziness. The key really is to drink slowly.
- I can be outgoing! I can bring people together! But I can still be an introvert and enjoy alone-time at the same time.
- I like kissing strangers, but I’m still inherently a romantic. I still got this sticky soft heart. I haven’t changed, I just hang around more drunk boys.